Watch Your Life Bloom

Welcome to the Official Blog of Author Dr. Lily L. Ratliff Jenkins, of the inspirational Memoir, The Life of a Lily: Growing in His Strength, Blooming in His Love, and many other writings.

Thanks for coming by to sit awhile and reflecting along with me on everything biblical. On this blog, feel free to share your thoughts and feelings about the various topics I present. They all do come from the heart and are meant for us to ponder, be enlightened, laugh, cry, and ultimately give God all of the praise.

You will hopefully find resources on everything from writing tips to creating your own memoir, how to journal, becoming better Christians and how to walk in your callings, destinies, and witty inventions that we have deep inside of us but sometimes don't quite know how to tap into and walk in. But GOD! It is in his wisdom along with an open mind that we will get through this together. Amen! So I welcome you my brothers and sisters!

Friday, March 20, 2009

Everyone Has a Story to Tell-Part 2

Many people usually don't know where to begin when it comes to writing their own personal memoirs. Some people feel that a memoir chronicles their entire life, pinpointing the major events that influenced and shaped them the most. Some people will take a particular event and create a "story", of course non-fiction in nature, but focus on just that as the basis of their memoirs with the hopes of informing or entertaining readers, and their overall message or theme sticks out for all to take in. It's all up to you. There is and should never be a set format in which to write a personal memoir, because it is just that, "your personal Memoir.

So when thinking about where you would like to start in your quest for writing the personal memoir, maybe ask yourself a few questions.

1. What are some of my most memorable moments? They can be sad, embarrassing, loving, or fun. They can be life-changing, or just matter-of-fact. But whatever they are, they have to big enough for you to want to share with others. Stick to big stories and less on the technical details.

2. How far back in my past should I go when pulling an important event into my memoir? What is meant by this is---you never want to bring a story from your life to paper that you cannot fully "show" to your reader. It has to be so vivid from your memory that others reading it can get a visual picture of your life, as if from the outside looking in.

For example: Being rescued from a house fire. Obviously you wouldn't just tell us you were rescued by firefighters late one night. You would go more in depth by "showing" exactly how they rescued you.

"As I was dangling outside of my second story bedroom window, sashaying a white bedsheet high in the air to signal I was there, a firefighter caught a glimpse of my hanging there. He quickly pulled a ladder in the direction of my silhouette, climbed up to my window and caught me before I could no longer take in the smoke that filled my lungs."

3. Do I want to base my memoir on a certain time period, i.e.,childhood (school) years, or as an adult (relationships, divorce, how you became the President of a Fortune 500 company or a successful entrepreneur)? It's important which angle you want to take when writing so that you are not all over the place with no end in sight. Once you know what is most important for your book, stick to it.

Now once you have all of your fundamental events, situations, and life experiences that's suitable for YOUR memoir, now begin to write. It doesn't matter about grammar, and the technicalities of writing perfectly. That will come with time once it's finally done and you're ready to edit. But remember we are only on Part 2. We will talk next time about creating a speaker voice that will be true to only your work and that will set you apart from other stories that are out there. Until next time, WRITE YOUR WAY TO DESTINY!

Be sure to leave your comments about this or the Part one of "Everyone Has a Story to Tell!"

Be Blessed!

1 comment:

  1. I think that this is a great part. It gives you an idea of how to really start. I know that I have to write a book about my trails, but I have a lot of legal parts to my story. Because of what has been done to me I have a huge Federal Criminal Case. I have been journaling the past 6 years.

    I thank you so much for all of the information that you put on your site. I really do enjoy reading what you post. I thank God for you and I hope that God will continue to bless you.

    Have a safe and blessed day.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin